Weblogs at Fairleigh Dickinson University
University Systems and Security (USAS) provides this blog service (hereafter referred to as the “Service”) in support of academic and scholarly communications conducted by the University community. The Service is made available to any current faculty, student, or staff member of the Fairleigh Dickinson University (FDU) campuses in New Jersey.
Why blog at FDU Community?
USAS offers this Service to you subject to the terms and conditions of use (“Terms”) contained herein. By accessing, creating or contributing to any blogs hosted at http://blog.fdu.edu/ or http://community.fdu.edu, and in consideration for the Services we provide to you, you agree to abide by these Terms. Please read them carefully before posting to or creating any blog.
Terms and condition of use
It is easy to start your own blog! You can be up and running in under a minute!
- Those who make use of the FDU blogging environment are required to behave in a manner consistent with FDU’s codes of conduct. Contributors or users must abide by the terms and conditions outlined in the Acceptable Use Policy. Individuals who do not wish to accept these terms and conditions should not use the Service.
- Use of the Service is subject to NJ State policies and applicable local, state, and federal laws. Violations may result in denial of access to the service.
- The Service is provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis, without warranties of any kind, express or implied. Use of this service is at the user’s sole risk and the user assumes all responsibility for any liability arising out of such use.
- Under its continuing obligation to preserve the rich history of the institution, USAS may collect and preserve copies of blogs.
Current students, and faculty or staff members of FDU, New Jersey, are eligible to register for the Service. An active FDU Webmail login and password is required.
As part of its overall program of services to the New Jersey campuses, USAS provides the Service at no cost to eligible users.
The copyright, and all related rights to original work posted via the Service, is owned by and is the sole responsibility of its author(s). A blog author may license the content of his or her blog through a Creative Commons license. More information on Creative Commons licenses is available through the Creative Commons website.
By posting content to any blog, you warrant and represent that you either own or otherwise control all of the rights to that content, including, without limitation, all the rights necessary for you to provide, post, upload, input or submit the content, or that your use of the content is a protected fair use.
- The blog user is responsible for complying with all applicable copyright laws and policies. Applicable policies include General Information and Policies, Intellectual Property Policies, and Course Development and Delivery Policies.
- Questions about the use of copyrighted material can be directed to the Center for Teaching and Learning with Technology (CTLT).
Practices Regarding Use and Storage
- The Service may establish limits regarding use of the Service and may modify these limits at any time.
- USAS intends to provide access to the Service to a blog author as long as he or she has an active FDU Webmail Account.
- USAS intends to archive the content of all the blogs on the Service for non-commercial, historical purposes. By using the Service, authors grant USAS non-exclusive rights to archive blog content in any format.
- USAS will not restore individual blogs. Blogs will only be restored as the result of a system-wide disaster. Blog owners should backup their blog content on a regular basis by exporting their content to an XML file (instructions for doing this will be provided by USAS).
The FDU Acceptable Use Policy and the Confidentiality Agreement and Security Policy outline the conditions under which members of the University community may utilize University computer accounts and equipment. The following are of particular use to blog users:
- Users cannot accept or display paid advertising in FDU Blogs.
- While the University does not intend to monitor traffic on blogs, it does retain the right to examine blog contents if network security and performance is threatened or if there is a reasonable su%#$!$ion that a law or University policy is being violated.
- Each blog page will automatically display the following language at the bottom: The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of the page author. The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by the Fairleigh Dickinson University.” The footer will include a link to the FDU blog policy.
- Links do not imply FDU endor%#$!$t of any materials; access cannot be guaranteed.
- All comments posted on FDU blogs must be moderated by the blog owner. Blog owners must not deviate from the standard options set for managing blog discussions.
In general, you may post content freely to your blog and to those of others, so long as the content is not illegal, obscene, defamatory, threatening, infringing of intellectual property rights, invasive of privacy or otherwise injurious or objectionable.
You may not use the FDU name to endorse or promote any product, opinion, cause or political candidate. Representation of your personal opinions as institutionally endorsed by Fairleigh Dickinson University is strictly prohibited.
You agree that you will not knowingly and with intent to defraud provide material and misleading false information. You represent and warrant also that the content you supply does not violate these Terms, and that you will indemnify and hold FDU harmless for any and all claims resulting from content you supply.
You acknowledge that FDU does not pre-screen or regularly review posted content, but that it shall have the right to remove in its sole discretion any content that it considers to violate these Terms or the terms of any other campus user agreements that may govern your use of the campus networks.
You understand that all content posted to http://blog.fdu.edu/ or http://community.fdu.edu is the sole responsibility of the individual who originally posted the content. You understand, also, that all opinions expressed by users of this site are expressed strictly in their individual capacities, and not as representatives of FDU.
You agree that FDU will not be liable, under any circumstances and in any way, for any errors or omissions, loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of use of any content posted on this site. You agree that you must evaluate and bear all risks associated with the use of any content, including any reliance on the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of such content.
When publicly displaying, publicly performing, reproducing or distributing copies of your Content, or Content as incorporated into a collective work, FDU will make best efforts to credit your authorship. You grant FDU permission to use your name for such attribution purposes. You, likewise, agree to represent yourself accurately. You acknowledge that misrepresentation may lead us, in our sole discretion, to cancel your use of the Services and delete any of your Content.
Collecting personal information from children under the age of 13 is prohibited. No Content should be directed toward such children without the express written permission of the Directory of University Systems and Security.
USAS reserves the right to change, at any time, at our sole discretion, the provisions of the Service.